Friday, July 17, 2009

Christmas in July

Growing up, my parents decided to spread the giving around throughout the year vs. having enormously generous holidays. As we grew and needed more challenging toys, they were provided to us on random days throughout the seasons. We've taken on a similar philosophy with our little peanut in her first 2 years. I think it gives us time to figure out what her preferences are and then find just the right thing at the right time. Yesterday I spent a good hour absolutely clearing the living room of all the outdated toys littering the floor. This morning was a bit of Christmas in July as peanut and I made a big pilgrimage to the local Land of Nod outlet and store. If you aren't lucky enough to have a store near you, be sure to check out their web site and catalog. They have some of the best copywriting I've ever seen and carry such a phenomenal collection of quality items. I couldn't be more ecstatic about my finds: First off is the crowning glory of today's hunt: A $5 guitar found at the outlet!! It's missing a string which I assume can be easily replaced. Next to it you see a $5 wooden recorder. We took a Kindermusik class this spring and peanut fell in love with all the teacher's instruments. Now we'll start up our own band at home. Kiddie guitar At the store, I practically fell over when I laid eyes on this: Kiddie toolbox I remember having a nearly identical tool kit complete with tin carrying case and rubber saw. It brought back so many of my own memories, I had to get it. I can't tell which I love more, the little saw or that little drawing of the girl on the metal case. Where do you even see metal toys these days?! So excited they didn't make it plastic! And finally, I picked up several card games to give us something more specific to play together other than our pretend games. I absolutely loved "Memory" as a kid but these sets won me over with their darling illustrations and bright colors. Game cards I admit this is the part of parenting I find the most exciting and fun--sharing the childhood memories I cherish most with my own little one. These are just some of my kiddie fave's, what classic toys do you remember as a kid? Have you been able to find them to share with your own children?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm excited to hear what you have to say. Just remember the rules of the playground and play nice!