Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Our Vegas Vacation

Phew, what a whirlwind week! After lots of frustrating conversations about the timing of our annual vacation, Tim took matters into his own hands last week Tuesday and up and surprised me with an extremely last-minute trip to Vegas. We've been to Vegas before despite the perplexed looks upon our family's faces. Tim and I are not gamblers, we don't party all night, what could we possibly find appealing in this town? Plenty! Guaranteed sunshine and nice weather, a fantastic pool to read beside, and mouth watering restaurants a plenty, what more could I ask for?! We were lucky enough to fly and stay for free at the JW Marriott off the Strip thanks to Tim's frequent flier/hotel miles. Adding a rented car to the mix, we were able to experience a totally different vacation than our last trip to Sin City. First stop: Red Rock Canyon. I can honestly say I've never seen anything like it. Once we got past the 105 degree heat, the canyon was simply awesome. We're already vowing to hit the Grand Canyon on our next trip out. I can only imagine! Red Rock Canyon You might wonder why on earth I'm wearing a dress in the canyon photo. . . No, I don't dress up for hiking. That shot was taken our last night in town after having been out for dinner. We stopped back at the canyon to hopefully see the sunset. Not as glorious as we had imagined (I think we hit it at the wrong time) but definitely still beautiful in it's own way. The perfect complement to all that dry heat and dessert sand and sun was our lush hotel and visits downtown. I'm such a sucker for palm trees and waterfalls! We were lucky enough to score half-price tickets to the Cirque du Soleil show "Love". I think our expectations were set just a tad too high and we were just bound to be a little disappointed. Still an amazing show but I think next time we'll hit a standard Broadway musical. However, we stopped at a rum bar before the show and I savored the most delicious minty mojito ever. Couldn't help but wonder if the mint was grown by magic fairies or something. It is Vegas, weirder things must have happened. Vegas strip After all the chaos our unplanned trip brought, I'm happy to be settling back into the routine of things. Thanks so much to Zina for helping me out the last couple days--those photos of the girls and their art are absolutely priceless! Now back to the sewing machine. . .

1 comment:

  1. Hi, thank you so much for commenting on my blog for my very first quilt! The swurvy edge is probably the only thing that I had a little bit of a difficult time. I think it was more in my head than anything. But I love it and tomorrow I'm going to the local quilting store to sign up for my first quilt class. I'm very excited. When did you start quilting?
    Oh, hope you enjoyed your trip to Vegas! I actually live here so I don't find it as fun as you might. I think I'd rather live somewhere green and cooler...LOL!

    ReplyDelete

I'm excited to hear what you have to say. Just remember the rules of the playground and play nice!